F How I Met My Husband - Rural Mama's Sandbox

How I Met My Husband

I LOVE our story. To me, it is actually kind of perfect. But in order to get to the good part, we have to go all the way to the beginning...


In high school I was kind of shy, lacked self confidence, but was sweet and kind to everyone I met. I did very well in school, did all my work, got to class on time and didn't give the teacher's a hard time. I had a full class schedule each year as well as played in the marching band all four years. I started working a job as well, as soon as I could drive. I added diving as my sport of choice my sophomore year, and while I wasn't that great at it, I loved the team and it was fun to be in the pool every day. I didn't go to parties, I didn't hang out late on the weekends and never push limits. 

My husband, was the opposite. :Insert me chuckling here: He is a VERY smart man, was incredibly smart in high school as well, but maybe too smart for his own good. He got good enough grades to pass classes, which allowed him to play baseball. He was a catcher and very good at what he did. He radiated confidence, was funny, the life of the party, interesting and slightly mysterious, or at least he was to me. 

We went to the same high school. I met him at lunch one day when my new boyfriend at the time, invited me to sit him and his friends at lunch. Those were the best days, his friends were SO funny and never made me feel out of place. My boyfriend and I dated a few months and then as most high school romances go, we moved on. Unbeknownst to me, my husband was bummed I wasn't eating lunch with them anymore. He swears he tried to talk to me all the time in the hall to get my attention but I was so focused on getting to class that I guess I just took it as him being nice. My lack of confidence telling me he couldn't possibly be flirting with me or interested in me. 


Fast forward to my senior year, prom season was right around the corner. I didn't really understand how intimidating I was in high school, and thus no one seemed interested in asking me to prom. As an adult when I hear the stories, my husband affectionately describes me as being "untouchable" and "out of their league" when to referring to what the guys at school thought of me apparently. I really wanted to go prom, but I REALLY didn't want to go alone. I started getting my nails done for fun and to get ready for prom and one day stopped at the popular coffee shop in town. I'm not sure why I decided to go there that day and why I was alone, but I decided to sit outside and drink my drink outside that evening. No sooner did I sit down did my husband come pulling into the parking lot. He had graduated a few years ahead of me and I hadn't seen him since I left the lunch table. I was instantly excited to see him and an idea popped in my head. He had been so funny and I thought to myself that he would be SO FUN to go to prom with. So, I mustard up as much courage as I could and asked him if he'd want to go. To my delight and much surprise he said YES!


We had a GREAT time at Prom and I loved every minute of it. Prom was technically our "First Date." After Prom we went back to his house, he shared a house in a near by town with a few of those same guys, including my ex boyfriend, that we used to sit at lunch with. We laughed and talked and I had planned on us going on an after prom trip to Chicago with my friends in the morning but he got a call that rocked his world. 

At the time, I had no idea that a year prior he had be engaged to be married. I had no idea that she left him, telling him she was pregnant but that she had cheated on him and it wasn't his child. The call he got Prom night was her, his ex fiancé, calling to tell him the baby was born and that she was his. His world shattered and he was devastated to learn this out of the blue. My memory is a little fuzzy because well, age, but my husband says that he cried and we talked for a while sitting on the kitchen floor and then said he'd be right back. He left and I never saw him again. He says he went to the shed with his buddies and may have had too many drinks and passed out, I don't really now where he went but he never came back. He was my ride, so I couldn't leave. I was stuck there all night. My ex boyfriend was there and helped find me something to wear to bed and I slept the night in my husband's bed, alone, by myself. The next morning I HAD to leave, my friends were waiting on me to go with them to Chicago, so my ex boyfriend offered to drive me home. 

I went to Chicago with my friends, was exhausted but had a GREAT time. We visited several high touristy places but my favorite was Shed Aquarium. I absolutely LOVE Aquariums! On the way home I deleted my husbands number from my phone and never talked to him again...

Come back next time for the REST of the Story dear followers!













CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments HERE: