F A Big Sting - Rural Mama's Sandbox

A Big Sting

Finally the weather is consistent and warm! Thank God! However, with warm weather comes BUGS! All types of bugs seem to be crawling around everywhere, inside and outside. Our most recent experience with a bug was with a not so nice bug.

Today we went out to play and Big Sister was playing nicely in the playhouse when all of a sudden she screamed bloody murder. Unbeknownst to me a wasp mama had made a nest in the inside roof line of the girls' playhouse. I looked up to see a wasp buzzing around her then diving down to sting her again. I ran to get Big Sister out of the play house and then set her down on the picnic table to assess the damages. She was only stung once, on her shoulder blade, but it was red and starting to swell a bit. She isn't severely allergic to bees or wasps (this is the seconded time this year she has been stung) so I wasn't worried about a serious reaction, but it still hurt badly so I ran in to get some reinforcements. My "Go To" for stings is allergy medicine and baking soda. I measured out the allergy meds and gave it to her orally, just to be sure she didn't have a reaction to the venom from the sting. Next, I mixed up a paste with baking soda and water and spread it over the sting. Instant relief, and the screaming ceased and swelling started going down. I don't know WHO figured out baking soda has this amazing quality, but if I did I would go up and hug and kiss them and thank them a million times.

So, moral of the story. Bugs are everywhere, even ones that pack a big punch, or sting rather. Check your children's play equipment and make sure a bug hasn't taken up residence in their toys! I know that this will be on my spring/summer checklist for next year for sure!

Have you encountered a not so friendly bug this yet this year?

Have a wonderful day dear followers and stay safe!

 





Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a doctor, so please check with your doctor before administering any medications to your children in the even of a insect sting or bite.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments HERE: