F Holly Daze: Underachiever Extraordinaire (Life Well Blogged) - Rural Mama's Sandbox

Holly Daze: Underachiever Extraordinaire (Life Well Blogged)

Lately, I've found myself reading a lot. During my Middle School years, I used to read all the time, but then as I became intrenched in High School activities my zeal for reading somewhat faded. Well, I guess that zeal is back because I feel the need, the need, to read. (Yes, I am totally cheesy and heard Tom Cruise's voice from Top Gun in my head as I wrote that.) I've kind of been out of the loop for so long that I have had to kind of pick randomly and see what I like and don't like as an adult. I like to read a variety books, but what I really love are blogs. They have a sense of realness and I can relate to a lot of what is written. Do I believe EVERYTHING I read? No. Does it give me sense that I'm not alone and that some of my antics as a wife/mother are... "normal"... sure.

Recently, I was asked to review a book called Holly Daze: Underachiever Extraordinaire from the series Life Well Blogged by Abbey Fatica and Monica Merrill Mylet. This book is a compilation of blog articles and just one book in the trilogy that takes you into the lives of several bloggers from all walks of life. I love the diversity in the book. Each of the bloggers is unique and special and it pours out from every page.

Growing up I always wondered what the holidays were like for other families. Did everyone do things they way we did? If I could be a fly on their wall, what would I see? Holly Daze: Underachiever Extraordinaire takes you through the four seasons and gives you a glimpse of what life in like during the holidays in different homes. As you will quickly figure out, the holidays are packed with the good, the bad, and the hilarious!

 A couple of my favorite stories from Holly Daze: Underachiever Extraordinaire include one from Thanksgiving and Christmas. An Offer He Can Not Refuse, Maybe, We'll See by Lauren Gallagher from the blog Filing Jointly...Finally got my side splitting. Evidently, Lauren's significant other is not too fond of Christmas. She cleverly uses the 'Twas The Night Before Christmas theme to approach the issue and gives her sweetie a alternative that you won't want to miss. It also helps that there is a photo included at the end, I was chuckling until I got to the photo, I lost it at the photo.

Another one of my favorites was How Could Christmas be Christmas Without a Santa Pig? by Michelle from the blog The Hubby Diaries. She has several cute stories in the Holly Daze: Underachiever Extraordinaire book, but this one is my favorite! If you are like me, you are thinking, "What is a Santa Pig?" Michelle takes you through her husbands obsession over a light up pig on a restaurant near where they live. Her tolerance and love for her husband is clear until the end, which you will love. (There is a picture at the end of this one too, hehe)

As with anything there is both the good and... the bad. The downside to Holly Daze: Underachiever Extraordinaire is that a good majority of the stories have curse words in them. They were edited to have a * through the words, so if your "Little Reader" in the family picks it up, they may not have clue what it is supposed to be, so that is nice. Or when you see the * you can just skip over the word entirely.

Overall, I thought that it was a cute book with entertaining and funny stories that show that your "average" family have not so "average" happenings during the holidays. 

My Rating: B+ $$
Click here to see what My Rating means! 
Cost: $2.99 for Kindle or Nook Versions or $9.99 for paperback. A portion of the proceeds will be donated directly to the Superstorm Sandy relief efforts.
Where to Buy: Amazon.com 

Check out the other two books in the trilogy: No Laughing Allowed, To Bliss and Back
Connect with Life Well Blogged Blog, Twitter, and Facebook!
Sign Up for the Life Well Blogged Newsletter! When 1,000 book sold, LWB is giving away a Kindle Fire. If you are signed up for our newsletter - YOU ARE eligible! 

Have a wonderful evening dear followers!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments HERE: